Saturday, June 26, 2010

D-Day for Chickens

Well, we knew it was coming.  The old chickens had lived out their useful life.  I know, I know...as a vegetarian I should be opposed to any animal deaths.  And I am opposed to animal cruelty and useless suffering.  But I am also a realist and I understand that these are not wild animals that have been penned up cruelly, but are animals bred to provide eggs and meat.  They wouldn't exist without human intervention.  So when they started loosing feathers and their keels started showing out of their breasts, we knew it was time.

Mom, Dad, Pat and I all helped.  It was a group effort.  It was very humane.  Mom even prayed before we began to thank the chickens for all the eggs they provided our family and for the yummy chicken soup that would be to come.  With that, we began.

We set up on the driveway and in the garage.  Pat had built a killing cone.  Dad put the chicken head down inside the cone, pull its neck straight and slit its throat.  It bled out into a trashcan filled with sawdust. 





Then Dad dunked the chicken in 150 degree water, in a big pot on the camp stove in the garage.  Once the feathers pulled off easily, he gave it to Mom and me and we plucked it.






Mom and I plucking chickens.




  



Then Pat gutted them, I helped too. 


 








Dad, showing off one of the finished birds.


Final step, hose everything off and then spray with bleach-water.  And pack the chickens in vacuum-sealed freezer bags.
  They're not "oven-stuffers" but they will be good to use for stock or to pick off of the bone for soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment