Saturday, October 16, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

We have a glut of eggplant, so I fry them up and freeze them.  This year I also made a lot of sauce and froze that too, rather than canning just tomatoes (we have plenty left from last year).

Just washed fresh eggplant from our garden.  I've found the medium-sized ones work best.  Too small and they may have a bitter taste, too big and the seeds will be too developed.






I peel and slice them, then dredge in flour, beaten egg & water, and then breadcrumbs mixed with salt, pepper, fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.  You could also salt the eggplant slices first to draw out water.  I get about four ready to go, so I don't have to stop and slice more while the oil is hot.

Then I fry up the eggplant in hot oil till it is golden brown on both sides.  Drain on a papertowel or tea towel.  Lay eggplant in the pan, overlapping slightly.  Layer parm & mozzerella cheese, tomato sauce, ending with mozzerella on top.



Homemade tomato sauce is best.  This is Fresh Tomato Puree from Julia Child's cookbook.  Basically it is tomatos that have been put through a foodmill, onions, herbs salt and pepper.  Super simple and delicious. 




The finished product:  it went so fast I didn't get to take a picture while it was whole!


No comments:

Post a Comment